RESIDENTS in St Helens were warned to keep their windows and doors closed following a major blaze at a substation on Saturday.
Large plumes of smoke were seen coming from the two-storey building in Hall Lane, Prescot, at 11.15pm on Friday.
In the early hours of the morning, people living near the fire were advised to keep windows and doors shut.
Firefighters requested engineers from Scottish Power to attend and isolate electricity supplies to the substation.
Crews from Whiston, Huyton and Old Swan tackled the flames until it was extinguished at 6.30am on Saturday.
No-one was injured during the blaze and no power was lost as engineers were able to switch to a different supply source.
There was severe fire and smoke damage to part of the substation.
The cause was thought to be a potential electrical fault.
Station manager Sean McGuinness said: “A smoke plume from this fire was affecting parts of Prescot town centre and we advised local residents in the area to keep windows and doors shut so that smoke did not entre their property.
“The fire was difficult to reach due to its location in a two storey building. Due to the location of the fire it took some time to reach the source of the fire and fully extinguish the flames.”