FIREFIGHTERS administered oxygen to a man after an unattended chip pan sparked a fire.
Crews were called to a home on Hard Lane shortly before 8am yesterday (Tuesday, March 19).
Watch manager Mike Costello said: “There was a smoke alarm fitted at the property but it was defective and gave no early warning of the fire.
“When the occupier went into the kitchen to turn off the cooker he breathed in some of the smoke. There were polystyrene ceiling tiles in the kitchen and these gave off smoke as they decomposed.
“We advise the removal of polystyrene ceiling tiles as they can give off really black, toxic smoke when heated or affected by fire.”
The man was taken to Whiston Hospital.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for St Helens
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 16 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 13 C to 19 C
Wind Speed: 7 mph
Wind direction: South east