The widow of a St Helens man who was given a fatal overdose at Whiston Hospital said she accepted the apology of the nurse responsible because holding a grudge “wouldn’t bring my husband back”.
Norma Whalley’s husband of 49 years, Colin, died on November 18, 2011, after being administered 24 hours worth of intravenous aminophylline in just 20 minutes.
Mr Whalley, 68, a grandfather-of-three and great grandfather-of-five who had suffered with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease since 2004, had been hospitalised with breathing problems two days earlier.
At in inquest last week nurse Maryann Sanchez, who had previously undergone supervision for a drug administration error, apologised to Mr Whalley’s family for her mistake.
Mrs Whalley, 69, of Rivington Road, said: “I still get upset daily because only half of me is left. I’ve reached a settlement with the trust now but the money means nothing to me without Colin here. We had been planning our golden wedding anniversary but that’s all gone now.
“Hospital staff have assured me they’ve put things in place to prevent this happening again but I’m still worried that it could. After I get the coroner’s verdict I’ll just have to try to move on with my life. Closure is what we need.”
A spokeswoman for St Helens and Knowsley NHS Trust previously insisted lessons had been learnt.
She said: “The trust has unreservedly apologised for an error which meant Mr Whalley received an infusion of medication over too short a period of time and quickly carried out a full investigation.”
Coroner Christopher Sumner is set to release a narrative verdict on May 13.