Five month old baby injured in house blaze

A BABY suffered severe burns to his face and hands in a ferocious St Helens house fire.

Emergency crews, including firefighters from Eccleston, Whiston and Parr Stocks, were called to the first floor bedroom of a terraced house on Fir Street, Thatto Heath, at about 9.30pm on Sunday (April 3).

Five-month-old Tommy Lee Blackhurst, who had already been rescued from the fire when crews arrived, was treated at the scene by paramedics before being raced to Whiston Hospital’s Burns Unit.

Neighbours told how the tot has since been transferred to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in Liverpool after suffering 25 per cent burns.

The Fir Street property’s landlady, Janet Spottiswood, described the blaze as “horrendous”.

She said: “Tommy is under sedation in intensive care at Alder Hey now, where his condition is described as stable. His parents and grandparents are all at the hospital by his bedside. It’s just horrendous.”

An ambulance service spokeswoman confirmed: “The baby suffered 25 per cent burns in the fire and was also left suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.”

Firefighters believe that a burning candle sparked a curtain fire which then spread.