ST Mary’s market is bigger and better than ever!
That’s the bold claim of council bosses in St Helens after they invested £300,000 in a package of improvements at the market.
A number of new stalls have already opened up at the market and despite the current renovation work, the message from the market is clear: It’s business as usual.
New stalls now include:
Berryfields Fresh produce (Fruit & Veg)
Tilly Mints ( dried flowers/fresh flowers)
Pc Problems (computer repair)
BD Sports ( sportswear)
Heavy Metal Thunder ( Army Surplus)
Dress Up ( Fancy dress)
Blue Lagoon Spa (Garra Rufa fish spa system)
Victoria Brow Bar ( Eyebrow Treatment)
Vig Bags ( Handbags/suit cases)
The market is seen as an important part of the town’s heritage and the makeover includes:
* the creation of a new multi purpose space by taking out some stalls. Plans include making the new look area attractive to specialist markets and community events
* consideration be given to opportunities that would allow traders to tap into the Enterprise Allowance Fund and forge closer links with St.Helens Chamber to help traders hone their business skills and other businesses that can enhance the market
* increase the links to the nearby World of Glass to share marketing opportunities to enhance both centres
* Betters signposting to pin point the location of the market
* Improve the cafe and develop a new food mall with better seating and a wider choice of product
* Encourage more younger people to use the market via promotion in schools and colleges.
Deputy council leader Barrie Grunewald said: “By bringing in these improvements we are confidence that we can make the market more vibrant, increasing the number of shoppers and traders.
“As we compete with other markets and the threat from internet shopping it is vital that we do all we can to preserve this traditional market and, at the same time, offer something that little bit special with a wider retail choice.”