Firefighters rescue baby bird trapped in guttering

Firefighters rescued a baby blackbird from the guttering of a house in St Helens
Firefighters rescued a baby blackbird from the guttering of a house in St Helens

Firefighters in St Helens rescued a baby bird that had become trapped in the guttering of a house.

Crews were called to a property on McCormack Avenue, Parr, on Monday evening.

The baby blackbird had got trapped by its foot in the guttering.

A brigade spokesman said: “One fire engine attended the scene and crews used a short extension ladder to reach and release the baby bird, which was trapped in guttering 30 feet high.

“They handed the bird over to RSPCA inspectors, who were in attendance.

“Crews remained at the scene for around 20 minutes.”

It’s not the first time crews from St Helens have been involved in an animal rescue.

In 2014 they saved a parrot from a house blaze in Speakman Road, Denton’s Green.

And last year, they were called to the M62 in Rainhill after reports of a piglet loose near the carriagway.