Fire rescue teens hailed as heroes

The three Blackbrook teenagers, Josh Jump, Callum Chadwick and Ethan Chisnall, who helped rescue two men from a fire at their flat in Beacon Grove.
The three Blackbrook teenagers, Josh Jump, Callum Chadwick and Ethan Chisnall, who helped rescue two men from a fire at their flat in Beacon Grove.
1
Have your say

Three St Helens schoolboys have been hailed as heroes after they rescued two men who were trapped by a devastating flat fire.

Quick-thinking teenagers Callum Chadwick, Ethan Chisnall and Josh Jump instinctively raced to the rescue after seeing smoke billowing out of a block of flats on Beacon Grove in Blackbrook.

They not only kicked down the door of the fire-hit flat to gain entry, but joined forces to drag the two men trapped inside to safety. The three lads spotted the blaze as they made their way to Callum’s home on Beacon Grove.

Callum’s mum, Leisa Robinson, told of her pride at her son and his two pals.

She said: “The three lads saw smoke coming through the window of the flats over the road and didn’t even stop to think before racing to help out. They shouted to the two men inside the flat but, when there was no response, they were forced to kick the door down to rescue them.

“At first they thought there was only one person inside but, after a couple of minutes, the first man said there was somebody else asleep in the flat. So they went back in to drag the other man out.”

Shortly after the rescue, three fire engines arrived at the scene to extinguish the blaze.

Mrs Robinson added: “I’m very proud of the lads – they were all really brave. I was screaming at them to get out of the flat but they were determined to rescue both men. They did something a lot of other people wouldn’t do.

“Although it was only a chip pan fire, it caused a lot of smoke.”

Firefighters from St Helens and Eccleston were called out shortly after 11pm on August 24 after Cowley pupils Callum and Joshua, both aged 14, and 13-year-old St Augustine’s pupil Ethan had already raced to the rescue.

Paramedics checked over several people at the scene for the effects of smoke inhalation.

The chip pan was destroyed by the fire and the kitchen of the flat left severely smoke damaged.

A spokeswoman for Merseyside Fire and Rescue confirmed a chip pan had caused the blaze.