A FORMER St Helens rugby star has walked free from court after a string of driving charges against him were dismissed.
Scott Moore of Ranworth Drive, Lowton was charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol, driving while disqualified, failing to stop at an accident and failing to report and accident which occurred on Norwood Drive, Lowton on June 3.
Mr Moore was due to stand trial at Wigan Magistrates’ Court this week but after two prosecution witnesses failed to show up to give evidence, the case was thrown out.
The 23-year-old rugby league hooker left Saints to join Widnes at the end of the season.
Brian Jackson, who was representing Mr Moore, told the court that Greater Manchester Police had made a catalogue of errors during the investigation.
He said: “Mr Moore had told police on the night in question that he was not the driver.
“He told police that the person who was driving came to his house by a taxi, this was never checked by them.
“The police spoke to this person but never as a suspect.
“The police also never checked CCTV footage and one person described the person driving as slim with light hair.
“No-one said that the driver actually had a beard.
“The driver had also been driving in just boxer shorts, Mr Moore has tattoos across his chest and arms and if he was driving, they would have been visible.”
“The police incorrectly investigated this incident and so Mr Moore should be granted costs.”
Prosecutor Jane Urey told the court: “Two key witnesses did not attend court so there is no realistic prospect to connect Mr Moore to this case.”
Mr Jackson added after the hearing: “Mr Moore gave a full explanation in interviews to the police.
“Details that he gave the police were never checked.
“This matter has been hanging over his head for almost half a year now.
“On the day when the facts were to be tested, the allegations had been dismissed.
“Mr Moore now intends to get on with his rugby career and will make no further comments on the matter.”