Discarded cigarette sparks blaze drama

A discarded cigarette started a fire at a home in St Helens
A discarded cigarette started a fire at a home in St Helens
0
Have your say

A DISCARDED cigarette sparked a fire at a St Helens home.

Firefighters were called to the back garden of a property on West End Road, Newton-le-Willows, shortly after 11am on Sunday (September 23).

The blaze had started in the garden, spreading to a pile of rubbish and a sofa, before also affecting the property’s ground floor extension.

Two women, who were inside the property at the time, evacuated the property before fire crews arrived, and were both uninjured.

Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and used a hose to extinguish the flames.

The pile of rubbish and sofa were destroyed by the blaze.

A rear door was also severely damaged by the fire and a bathroom was left severely damaged by heat and smoke.

The kitchen and remainder of the ground floor was left mildly smoke damaged.

Two appliances from St Helens Community Fire Station attended the call-out.