A man died in a fire after fleeing St Helens because he feared he was being targeted by members of the travelling community, an inquest has heard.
Christopher Murphy died after the fire broke out in the ground floor of a property in Manchester Road, Bolton, on January 29.
Mr Murphy, who fled to Bolton because he believed he was a target of the St Helens travelling community, was later pronounced dead at the Royal Bolton Hospital.
The hearing was told Mr Murphy was squatting in an abandoned property when he died and had probably starting the fire himself to keep warm.
The inquest at Bolton Coroner’s Court heard Mr Murphy, who was aged 43 and originally from St Helens, died after he inhaled the toxic fumes.
Mr Murphy had a history of heroin and alcohol abuse as well as mental health issues.