A little girl was hospitalised after a choking on a jagged piece of plastic which inexplicably found its way into her ice cream.
Four-year-old Roseanne Chrystall was half way through a Burger King ice cream sundae when she suddenly started choking and struggling to breathe.
Luckily her quick-thinking dad, Liam Bennett, managed to dislodge the piece of plastic – which was around the same size as a two pence piece – by fishing it out with his fingers.
He said: “I was absolutely terrified when I saw Roseanne choking. Her face had already started changing colour.
“I held her upside down and banged on her back to try to get rid of the obstruction but ended up having to put my fingers in her mouth to get it out.
“Once I knew she was alright I took the piece of plastic in to show the staff at Burger King. They seemed to think it was part of the ice cream machine.
“But I’ve still not had an apology.”
Liam, 24, and his partner, Shona, had popped into the East Lancs Burger King at about midday last Tuesday (July 29) while heading for a day out with Roseanne and her little brothers George, two, and 10-month-old Thomas.
After picking up their order the family waited on the car park to eat their meals before the drama unfolded.
As a precaution, Liam and Shona, of Penny Lane, Haydock, subsequently abandoned their plans to take Roseanne to hospital for a check-up.
She was found to have suffered grazing to her throat and a swollen throat.
Liam added: “The doctors said she was a very lucky girl – it could have been much worse.
“I dread to think what might have happened if one of the younger ones had swallowed it instead of Roseanne.”
A Burger King spokesman said: “Food safety is a top priority at Burger King restaurants.
“We take this matter very seriously and are currently investigating the incident that allegedly took place at the Haydock Burger King restaurant, which is owned and operated by an independent franchisee.
“We have not received any additional reports of this nature.”